You can be a MasterChef or someone who is just starting out, one thing that your kitchen is going to need either way is a reliable and good quality set of knives. You don’t send a fisherman to sea with a net made out of cotton candy. Similarly, you don’t want to be preparing your food with knives that are not cut out for the job. It is crucial to have a blade in your hand that you are 100% confident in. You need a blade that is well-balanced, sharp, and comfortable. Cooking becomes so much easier and more fun when you have the right tools for the job. In this article, we are going to tell you how you can choose the knife set that is perfect for your style. Keep on reading to find out more!
What do you need to consider when picking a knife set?
Cutlery is important. Your knife is your friend in the kitchen. You want a blade that clicks with you. There are many things to keep in mind when you are picking out a professional knife such as:
- Material – The first thing that you need to look out for in your knife is the material it is made out of. There are stainless steel, carbon steel, Damascus steel, and ceramic knives. Each of these are good in their own right, you need to see which material would suit your needs the best. For example, if you are a low maintenance person and want a simple knife then going for stainless steel is the best option since it does not rust easily and doesn’t require much care.
- Weight – The next thing on your mind should be the weight. When buying a professional knife make sure to try it out and see if the weight is suitable for you. You don’t want a knife that is too heavy because it will just put extra strain on you when you are preparing your food.
- Comfort – The way a blade feels in your hand is also essential. Since you are going to be using these knives for extended periods of time regularly, you want a knife that feels comfortable in your hands.
- Balance – The overall weight of a professional knife needs to be equally balanced between the blade and its handle. A knife with poor balance will not cut effectively.
Check for all of these factors before deciding which knife set you are going to go for. Now, that we know what makes a good knife let’s move on to the different kinds of knives that you are going to want to get:
- Chef’s knife – This is going to be your primary knife that is going to do a lot of the heavy lifting. It is versatile which makes it great for all sorts of cutting.
- Santoku Knife – This is the knife that you are going to be using to mince, dice, and chop. It has a thin blade which makes it ideal for fine cutting.
- Paring knife – This knife is small in size and makes for the perfect knife to slice and peel.
- Utility knife – This is a mini version of the chef’s knife. It is smaller in size and acts as a complementary knife.
- Carving knife – This knife as the name indicates is tailor-made for carving meat. It is ideal for slicing joints of poultry and meat without the risk of tearing or shredding.
- Bread knife – This is a baker’s knife. It is designed to cut cleanly through rusks and crusts which means it has a very sharp edge.
- Peeling knife – This knife has a blade that curves inwards slightly. It is ideal for peeling tasks.
There you have it. You are now ready to go out and get your kitchen knife set. We hope that you found this article helpful. Best of luck!